6 Steps to Avoid a Flooded Basement
When the weather warms up, your basement may be at risk for severe flooding and water damage.
After the deep freeze of "Chiberia," the weather is going to see a massive spike in temperature. This means there is potential for excessive snowmelt, which can cause floods in your Inverness property. On top of frozen pipes bursting, your basement may be at risk for severe flooding and water damage.
To Avoid Flood Damage to Your Basement:
- Confirm your sump pump is in working order. Also consider buying a generator in case of power failure, as well as having a backup battery sump pump installed.
- Once the weather warms up and the snow begins to melt, check for any cracks in the exterior of your foundation and basement floors and walls, and use epoxy for a quick repair.
- Clean any debris from gutters to ensure proper waterflow, and check to make sure your downspouts are properly positioned away from your house.
- Remove any valuable and/or fragile items away from potential flood sources.
- Ensure window well covers for below grade basement windows are properly installed and in good condition.
- Have your sewer wells inspected and your septic tanks cleaned. A clogged sewer or septic tank could further increase the risk of flooding.
In the unfortunate event a flood in your basement occurs, call SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows to begin the restoration process. Time is of the essence when it comes to water damage, so don't wait! Call us anytime, 24/7 at (847) 934-1700!
Chicago Prepares for Brutal Cold
With temperatures dropping to dangerous levels, it is important to take every precaution we can for our own safety and health.
The Chicagoland area will be seeing a deep freeze tonight and tomorrow, the likes of which we have not seen since the 1980's. With temperatures dropping to dangerous levels, it is important to take every precaution we can for our own safety and health.
Here are some tips to stay safe and warm the next few days:
- STAY INDOORS. Avoid the outdoors if possible. With a potential windchill of -55 F tomorrow, frostbite can occur within a matter of minutes, and hypothermia is a major risk.
- If you absolutely need to drive, make sure your vehicle is up for it. Replace your battery if it is old, and keep your fuel tank and tires filled. Also, keep your cell phone charged and have emergency contacts on hand.
- Clear out snow from your roof to prevent ice damming and shovel driveways and sidewalks before it gets too cold.
- Prevent your pipes from freezing. Check out our previous blog for more info.
We at SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows will still be keeping an eye and ear out for any emergency restoration situations, and we are available 24/7 to address your needs. Call us at (847) 934-1700 to begin the restoration process.
Our Water Damage Restoration Process - From the First Call to the Final Rebuild
From the first call to the final rebuild, we will see the project through in order to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Repairing water damage in your Inverness home is a more intensive and involved process than simply removing standing water and letting the room dry on its own. There may be hidden moisture within the walls and flooring that standard dehumidifiers and fans will not be able to remove, and complete drying may require tearing out wet materials. It is vital to have a professional team that is trained and equipped to ensure every step of the storm damage restoration process is carried out precisely.
1. Water Extraction
Before doing anything else, all standing water needs to be removed. This involves the use of industrial-grade extractors to thoroughly vacuum any standing water. Our technicians can also relocate and pack away any furniture or other items so that the proper equipment can be moved in.
2. Removal of Wet Materials
Once all standing water is gone, our technicians will determine what is salvageable. We follow the mentality of “restore vs replace”; we will save whatever we can to help save money for you and your insurance. If the material is not salvageable, we will tear out and dispose of it for you. Materials that are typically unsalvageable are drywall, insulation, and carpet pad.
We utilize industrial-grade fans and dehumidifiers to ensure quick drying. Our technicians will create a drying plan and a layout of equipment in order to maximize efficiency in drying and reduce risk of further damage. We will also look at all items affected by the flood to see what can be salvaged, documenting any damage with photos to include with your claim.
SERVPRO not only oversees the drying process, but we also oversee reconstruction to put your home back together. From the first call to the final rebuild, we will see the project through in order to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Don’t wait to address water damage to your property! SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is ready and available 24/7 to respond to your needs. Call us today!
Frozen Pipes: What To Do and How To Prevent Them
Now is the time to learn more about how to avoid frozen pipes and water damage that can occur if those pipes expand and burst.
Sub-zero temperatures are hitting the Chicagoland area hard and early this year. Now is the time to learn more about how to avoid frozen pipes and water damage that can occur if those pipes expand and burst. While a common occurrence, frozen pipes are highly preventable.
SERVPRO offers the following tips for preventing frozen pipes and mitigating potential damage that they can cause.
To prevent frozen pipes and avoid any potential damage:
- Insulate all exposed pipes in your property. Pay close attention to where pipes may be unheated, such as the basement, attic, garage, crawl space, and under cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Maintain a consistent temperature through your house day and night.
- Close any valves located inside that supply water outdoors and open outside valves to properly drain any excess water remaining in the pipes.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors.
- In especially freezing temperatures, let your faucet trickle; running water is less likely to freeze.
- If you will be leaving your home unoccupied for an extended period of time, leave the heat on and set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
Thawing Out a Frozen Pipe:
- If you turn on a faucet and only a few drips come out, you may have a frozen pipe. Typically, frozen pipes are found along exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Leave the faucet on while treating any frozen pipes, as flowing water will help melt the ice.
- Apply heat to the frozen section of the pipe by using an electric heating pad, an electric hair dryer, or wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, or other open flame device.
- Check all other faucets in your home to see if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze too.
In the unfortunate event you experience any sort of water damage loss, caused by frozen pipes or otherwise, call SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows immediately. We are available 24/7 to address your needs. The longer you wait to call, the greater the chance of mold growth and unrecoverable property. SERVPRO professionals have the training and expertise to prevent or mitigate the devastating effects that water damage can have.
What To Do When Winter Weather Water Damage Occurs in Palatine
With winter weather rearing its ugly head in the Chicagoland area, it is vital to make sure your home or property is protected from the elements, whether that be ice, snow, or wind. provides services in Palatine, Rolling Meadows, Inverness and beyond to remediate water damage from frozen pipes, ice dams, roof damage, etc.
Extreme cold weather can cause pipes to freeze and burst. In general, pipes are more likely to freeze when the temperature is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The resulting water damage can be extensive. Outdoor pipes and pipes in unheated areas of the home can freeze if they are not properly insulated or if temperatures are severely cold. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can quickly and safely repair water damage caused by frozen pipes.
Outdoor pipes most likely to freeze include:
- Outdoor hose bibs
- Swimming pool supply lines
- Water sprinkler lines
Pipes in unheated or partially heated areas are also at risk of freezing, including:
- Crawl spaces
An ice dam is formed when snow melts unevenly on a roof and refreezes into a dam at the edge of the roof, near the eaves. This dam prevents any further snowmelt from draining off of the roof. This standing water can back up under shingles, leak into a home, and cause significant water damage to ceilings, walls, and other areas. Ice dams can also tear off gutters and loosen shingles.
Snow and ice can cause significant damage to your gutters and roof. The additional weight of snow and ice can even cause a roof to collapse. When there’s a cold snap, water can get into cracks and small spaces and expand when it freezes, causing larger cracks and more damage. The repetition of freezing and thawing cycles can cause small cracks to get larger.
In the unfortunate event you experience a water damage event, SERVPRO is ready 24/7 to take care of your needs. Until we arrive, here are some steps you can take:
- If there is water over the electrical sockets on the floor or walls, stay clear of the area!
- Identify the source of water: sanitary water (i.e. broken pipe) / contaminated water (i.e. washing machine overflow) / grossly contaminated water (i.e. sewage damage).
- Stop the source of the water and secure any broken or loose pieces (i.e. broken pipe, valve, etc).
- If you are filing a claim, take photos of each affected area (especially damaged contents like computers or electronics). SERVPRO technicians will also take additional photos of affected areas and items.
- Watch for any slippery floor conditions.
SERVPRO is Faster to Any Size Disaster
For your winter weather water damage needs, SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is ready and available 24/7 to provide you with quality restoration services. Call us at (847) 934-1700 for immediate assistance!
We Are An IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is proud to be an IICRC Certified Firm!
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must:
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Cleaning Carpet and Upholstery After A Fire
No matter how small or large, a fire in your Rolling Meadows home can be a troubling disruption to your life and can have a significant effect on you and your family. When disaster strikes, you need someone who can help. SERVPRO is always standing by to help clean and restore your home once a fire has occurred. One of the many areas we specialize in is cleaning carpeting and upholstery which has been damaged by fire, smoke, and soot.
How difficult it is to repair and clean your damaged carpeting and upholstery depends on the kind of damage. For items affected by smoke, the cleaning process is quite simple and straightforward. Additional damage from water and debris may involve a more complicated process.
At SERVPRO, our process for restoring carpeting that has fire and smoke damage includes cleaning, sanitizing, and neutralizing damage that was caused by debris and smoke left after a fire. To start, we sanitize the carpet and upholstery with special cleaners. Doing so neutralizes organic matter such as bacteria and fungi while removing dirt and debris left in the fibers. With the right dwell time, this process reaches into porous areas such as carpet backing systems, cushions, and other areas that are difficult to reach.
Carpet or upholstery damaged from water, heat or a chemical used to put out the fire might not be salvageable. Excessive water in carpeting usually creates a bond issue for adhesives which hold the carpeting to the floor. In some cases, it can create damage to the carpet. The water can also soak the padding, which results in the need to replace it. Whenever necessary, we can help dispose of and replace unsalvageable carpet.
At SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows, we understand that time is of the essence when it comes to water and smoke damage from fire. We waste no time in getting to your home when you contact us at (847) 934-1700.
Warehouse and Inventory Water Damage Restoration
When plumbing connections fail in your warehouse, not only is your property from water damage, but your inventory may be affected as well. Our team of water removal specialists can be at your site quickly to remove the water and begin the drying process to save your property.
SERVPRO has submersible pumps and heavy-duty water extractors to drain and suck the standing water out of every square inch of your property. Afterwards, our trained technicians will search for any pockets of hidden water to ensure a thorough dry out. We also measure the moisture content of any affected materials and the structure of the affected areas in order to set an appropriate drying plan.
We arrange your inventory strategically, off the warehouse floor if possible, to maximize air flow. Our industrial air movers and dehumidifiers are then set in place to begin the drying process. Time is of the essence as mold growth can begin within just 24 to 48 hours of the water loss occurrence if not abated. Once the drying cycle is set in motion, our technicians will track the process daily to make sure proper drying is occurring.
SERVPRO also works with your insurance throughout, limiting your out-of-pocket expenses if your losses are included under your coverage. We also problem solve with you to avoid a repeat occurrence in the future. We highly encourage you to look into our Emergency Ready Profile to plan ahead with us.
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows has the training, tools, and technicians to handle your commercial water damage challenges. Call us at (847) 934-1700 to set up an evaluation.
SERVPRO is a BBB Accredited Business
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is proud to be a BBB Accredited Business.
Consumers turn to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to look for businesses that operate with honesty and integrity. BBB Accreditation is built on these eight standards:
- Build Trust
- Advertise Honestly
- Tell the Truth
- Be Transparent
- Honor Promises
- Be Responsive
- Safeguard Privacy
- Embody Integrity
A business is accredited by the BBB when they demonstrate these traits, and SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is proud to be a BBB Accredited Business. When you choose SERVPRO, you can be confident you are choosing a company you can trust in and that will look out for your best interests.
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows is available 24/7 to respond to your emergency. Call us at (847) 934-1700!
Learn more about the Better Business Bureau by clicking here.
Quality Mold Remediation Services for Your Home in Palatine
If you find yourself facing mold problems, give us a call.
Finding mold damage in your Palatine home can be stressful, though it is a common occurrence. Mold only needs three ingredients to flourish: moisture, food to feed off of, and the right temperature. It is typical for mold spores to catch a ride on household pets, your shoes, or fly into your home through a window. Under the right circumstances, you'd be shocked how easy it is for mold growth to begin.
If you find yourself facing mold problems, give us a call. SERVPRO mold remediation specialists are AMRT-certified and available 24/7, including holidays. We take pride in providing quality mitigation services you can count on and help limit any losses you might experience resulting from mold contamination found in your home.
SERVPRO of Palatine / Rolling Meadows provides quality mold remediation services throughout the area. We have an entire staff of highly-trained professionals ready and willing to assist you with returning your home to a clean, safe, and secure place for you and your family to enjoy for years to come. (847) 934-1700